Leveraging Links Part 2 – Inbound Links
One of the best movies of all time coined the line “If you build it, they will come.” While in the film, baseball greats did magically come — ghosts emerging out of the corn fields to play ball — in today’s digital world, we need more than just a bit of magic to drive website visitors. With a highly competitive landscape and the myriad factors involved in search engine optimization, it takes a focused and ongoing commitment to inch your way up those search results pages.
On-page SEO and off-page SEO
Creating a strong online presence is important to effectively growing your digital footprint. To rank highly in search results, there are numerous SEO strategies that merit your attention. Rather than a one-time event, driving traffic is an ongoing building process comprised of both on-page and off-page search engine optimization (SEO) strategies.
On-page SEO strategies are focused around original and valuable content, optimized metatags, a mobile-friendly site and authoritative links. In a prior post we discussed leveraging outbound links to encourage inbound links. Inbound links from relevant and authoritative sites offer a signal of credibility to the search engines and improve search engine placement. An inbound link is an active hyperlink from another online site or publication to your website.
10 ways to generate inbound links
Armed with an understanding of the importance of credible inbound links, take some time to get started with this list of ways to generate inbound links. Remember to always include an active hyperlink to your site if possible.
1. Optimize your social media profile bios (including a LinkedIn company page) used for business
2. Search out sites for industry groups and professional certifications you’re affiliated with, which offer an option to create a profile
3. Create a company profile on local membership organization sites such as Chambers of Commerce, town listings or Rotaries
4. Pursue opportunities to publish content on other sites, including articles, guest blog posts and comments in relevant industry blogs and publications
5. Issue press releases for newsworthy items such as announcing funding, organizational news or new services
6. Develop a process to routinely solicit online reviews from clients and customers
7. Offer in-person events, presentations or sponsorships through other organizations
8. Include social sharing icons on your site, online store and blog to encourage sharing
9. Develop alliances – an inner circle can lead to inbound links, guest blog and co-marketing opportunities
10. Raise the bar on your blog: Maintain blog cadence, publish quality content that encourages sharing, and make it easy to follow (with RSS or email subscribe options)
To encourage your baseball greats to emerge from the corn fields, create high quality and credible content and build a strong and consistent promotion strategy — and links will come.